I present a small review of the Parish of San Miguel Arcangel de Escazu that on March 2 fulfills 220 years of parish life
Cantón de Escazú wikipedia In the year 1793, Escazú parish was built without an appropriate church and at the same time lacking the necessary and established implements to be able to function as such.
This began to be built on May 19, 1796, date on which its erection was ordered, with the corresponding implements, be it chalice, vinajera and missal.
Its final finish dates from the year 1799 when it was duly completed thanks to the collaboration and contribution of the neighbors, who contributed sand, stone, lime, wood and taking turns to work without charging a single cent for it, many of the neighbors donated a cart of firewood, coffee, cows, horses and money from the money of before, from that money that is still preserved today as a relic. His works were totally free. The contributions that were not used directly in the construction of the church, as well as the animals, were raffled in the shifts and their product invested in the construction of the temple to San Miguel Arcángel, where the first mass was celebrated on July 18, 1799 .
The tower deteriorated considerably with the strong tremors of the year 1910, as a consequence of the Carthago earthquake. But with the new and very strong earthquakes of the year 1924, it was totally damaged and together with the two angels (one on each side of it, in the south and north points) it had to be demolished and built all of brass, while the two Angels were cleverly rebuilt by Mr. Fletis.
In the parochial administration of the presbyter José Manuel Chacón, period 1959-1962, the tower varied greatly from its primitive and ancient form; the angels disappeared to give place to the placing of the three archangels with Saint Michael at the center of them.
In 1992, the parish priest Walter Howell Castro, doing an inspection on the walls of the temple, removed a layer of plaster that had been placed in some restoration of the church, leaving exposed stone-like ashlars, dating from 1840 ( during the second construction of the building), made of lava sedimented from a volcanic eruption 3 million years ago, as verified by a geologist from the University of Costa Rica.11 In the year of 1999, for the bicentennial of the founding of the church, a remodeling of the facade of the temple was made, adding two towers of 20 meters high, symbolizing the two centuries, with the intention of giving the temple a styloromantic. The towers were made of prefabricated iron, lined with a light coating of cement, and were mounted on solid concrete bases. These towers were later removed and only the bases remained.
Another attraction of the church is the set of the fourteen stations of the Via Crucis, of Spanish Baroque style, brought in 1920 and carved in wood by the Austrian sculptor Ferdinan Stuffleser, being the parish of San Miguel the only one in Latin America that has works of this European artist.
a view of photographs of the past and present
more information visit